All applicants must sign the authority at question A18 giving permission to the police to obtain factual medical history.
Failure to give consent will result in the application being rejected and returned.
Firearms on Loan
A firearm that you wish to hold is on loan from another firearm certificate holder, you must clearly show this at part B2 of the application form giving the name and firearm certificate number of the actual owner. Written permission to possess the firearm must also accompany the application.
Criminal and Other Convictions
All previous convictions must be declared at part D1 of the application form. If the exact date cannot be remembered, give an approximation as well as the nature of the offence.
Article 4 (2) (c) of the Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 2004 requires applicants to provide the names of two suitable referees, both of whom must be of good character and have known the applicant for, at least, two years.
A person is not a suitable referee if they are:
- A firearms’ dealer.
- A police officer or member of the police support staff.
- A resident outside the United Kingdom.
- A relative of the applicant.
A relative in relation to a person means:
- The father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, grandmother, grandfather, grandson or granddaughter of the applicant or of the applicant's spouse or former spouse.
- The brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew (whether of full-blood or half-blood or by affinity) of the applicant or of the applicant's spouse or former spouse and includes, in relation to a person who is living or has lived with another person as husband and wife, any person who would fall within paragraph (a) or (b) if the parties were married to each other.
Members of firearms clubs making an application for a target weapon may have a club official as one of their referees, provided that person is of good character and has known the applicant for, at least, one year.
The other referee must fulfil the normal criteria given above. Both referees must sign the declaration at Part E of the application form only after it has been completed and you should return the separate Reference Form direct to Firearms and Explosives Branch in the envelope provided.
All applications for the grant of a firearm certificate must be accompanied by two recent photographs that must be:
- Full face without a hat.
- 45mm by 35mm in size.
- On normal photographic paper, unglazed on the back, unmounted and endorsed on the reverse side in the following manner ‘I verify this is a true likeness of (full name of person)’, to which statement each referee should add their normal signature, occupation and date.
Additional Documentation Required
Letters of permission to shoot on land.
Proof of club membership.
Record of the firearm transaction, either:
- A bill of sale if acquiring from a firearms dealer
- A letter of authority, the seller’s firearm certificate and a completed Form 30/1 from that person, when acquiring a firearm from another firearm certificate holder.
Send Your Application Here
To avoid delays in processing your application, it is very important that all of the questions are answered fully and properly and that both you and your referees sign the application in the appropriate places.
If a particular item does not apply please write: NOT APPLICABLE.
If any aspect of the application is missing or incorrect you may be asked to re-submit the entire application.
Once completed the application and associated paperwork should be forwarded to:
Firearms and Explosives Branch
42 Montgomery Road
You can now apply for your firearms certificate online by